The Funeral Benefits Given by the Philippine Government

Posted on: Nov 11, 2018 Publish By: funerallink

Helena is a 65-year-old mother who passed away at dawn in her sleep. She was hypertensive and under medication for a couple of years. As an average Filipino, her family could use some financial help to give a decent funeral service for Helena. As a retired public teacher, her family is entitled to receive funeral benefits given by the Philippine government.

Selecting funeral homes can be very tricky especially when the budget is tight. Check out the different funeral homes in your area to have an idea of how much it will cost you to have a nice service for your loved one.

When you are working whether a government institute or private company, it is mandatory that your employer will pay a premium to SSS, PhilHealth, and PAG-IBIG (HDMF). For the government employees, instead of SSS, they have GSIS. If you are overseas, you might want to check out the benefits that OWWA offers. The Philippine government is also helping the elders through its Senior Citizen programs. funeral benefits, funeral service, funeral homes

Here are the details on how to avail the funeral benefits given by the Philippine government:

Senior Citizen burial benefits

Anyone is entitled to have the senior citizen benefits when they reach 60 years old. One must visit the nearest DSWD or DILG office in their town or city to inquire and have themselves registered. You will then be given a senior citizen identification card which you can use to claim discounts such as paying for your fare, groceries, medicine, restaurant bill, health service, etc. Senior citizens are entitled to have a 20% discount.

The family or the person who took care of the deceased senior citizen can claim the benefits and shall present the death certificate. It can help with the expenses to get a casket or urn, embalming, cremation cost, and other services such as wake or viewing cost, and transport. However, obituary publication and a memorial lot aren’t included.

How to claim:

Visit your nearest DSWD or DILG office. Bring the deceased senior citizen identification card and death certificate. You must be the beneficiary or the one who took care of the deceased. You will then be required to fill out a form to claim the benefits.

SSS burial benefits

Social Security System (or SSS) is a government-run security system for private, professional, and informal sectors. Aside from the pension that you will get after retirement, as a contributor you also can loan to help you after being hit by a calamity or file a ‘salary’ loan when you need any assistance for your children’s education for example.

When a family member passed away and was an SSS member, the beneficiary can claim for burial benefits using the Form BPN-103. You may file at any SSS branch or representative office.

How to claim:

Fill in the necessary form, Form BPN-103, and the Filer’s Affidavit. Don’t forget to bring the death certificate that is duly certified by the Local Registrar’s office, funeral parlor’s receipt, funeral expenses affidavit, and filer’s valid IDs (recommended to bring at least 2 or 3 government issued IDs). You may be required to present other documents when deemed necessary.

PAG-IBIG death claim

The Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF) or commonly called PAG-IBIG Fund is a government-owned and a corporation under Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council. The agency is responsible for national savings and affordable housing in the Philippines.

After accumulating 240 contributions or after the maturity of the Provident Savings, the beneficiary can claim the death benefits of the deceased. You may claim such benefit only when the deceased had not claimed the Provident Savings when he was still alive. Otherwise, you can no longer claim such savings since the deceased had already taken it from PAG-IBIG. You may refer here for more information.

How to claim:

Go to the nearest PAG-IBIG office or branch and bring the following documents:

  1. NSO Certified True Copy of Member’s Death Certificate
  2. Notarized Proof of Surviving Legal Heirs (HQP-PFF-030)
  3. NSO Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate of all children or Baptismal/Confirmation Certificate (If with child/children)
  4. Notarized Affidavit of Guardianship (HQP-PFF-028) (if with child/children below 18 years old, or if child/children is/are physically/mentally incompetent)
  5. To establish kinship with the deceased member, the claimant shall submit any one of the following:
  6. NSO Certified True Copy of Member’s/Claimant’s Birth Certificate
  7. NSO Certified True Copy of Non-Availability of Birth Record and Notarized Joint Affidavit of Two (2) Disinterested Persons (HQP-PFF-029)
  8. Certified True Copy of Member’s/Claimant’s Baptismal/Confirmation Certificate
  9. If Member is single, Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR)

If Member is married, NSO Certified True Copy of Member’s Marriage Contract and Advisory on Marriage.

GSIS funeral benefit

The Government Social Insurance Service or GSIS is a government controlled agency that provides social benefits to government or public employees. GSIS offers benefits to their members such as life insurance benefits, separation or retirement benefits, and disability benefits.

GSIS provides Php 30,000 funeral benefit to the beneficiary. The spouse, whether separated but still entitled to the future benefits, can claim the said cash grant. Legal offspring who shouldered the funeral expenses or anyone who paid for the funeral services. One must be able to present the receipt of expenses.

How to claim:

The claimant(s) will bring all the necessary documents to GSIS. Here are the documents needed:

If the claimant is the legal spouse:

  1. Original copy of Death Certificate of the member from the National Statistics Office (NSO).
  2. Original copy of Marriage Contract from NSO
  3. Two valid IDs (original to be shown, photocopy to be submitted)
  4. Original copy of NSO-certified Birth Certificate of the claimant (if there will be claims for death and survivorship benefits). If not registered, may apply for late registration.

Claimant’s birth certificate is not required if the claimant is either a GSIS member or pensioner.

If the claimant is other than the legal spouse (application will be accepted only if the legal spouse is already deceased. In this case, priority is given to legitimate children)

  1. Original copy of Death Certificate of the member from NSO.
  2. GSIS Affidavit of Funeral Expense Form
  3. Original & Xerox copy of Official Receipt under the claimant’s name or if a Funeral Plan was used, a Certification from the memorial service provider that the plan was availed of.
  4. Two valid IDs (original to be shown, photocopy to be submitted)
  5. Birth certificate of the claimant or valid ID (issued by the government) indicating his/her date of birth.

OWWA social benefits

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration or OWWA is a government agency under the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). The agency has been helping overseas workers and their families with social benefits, cultural services, employment, remittances, and other legal matters.

To be a member, go to the nearest OWWA office before departing the country. You will be asked to pay $25 and be entitled to the following benefits such as disability and dismemberment benefits, and death benefits.

The family of the deceased overseas foreign worker (OFW) is entitled to get Php 100,000 if the cause of death is natural, and Php 200,000 is given if it’s an accident. An additional of Php 20,000 will be given for the expenses of the funeral services.

How to claim:

The direct family member shall claim the benefits at their nearest OWWA office and bring the following documents:

  1. Original Death Certificate issued by the  local civil registrar or authenticated by National Census and Statistics Office (NCSO)
  2. Foreign Death Certificate for OFWs who died abroad including Airway  Bill and Consular Mortuary Certificate or No Objection Certificate
  3. Accident Report for death due to an accident
  4. Burial permit
  5. Official receipt of funeral expenses
  6. 2 valid IDs and 1 pc.  ID picture of the claimant
  7. Certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) of OFW from NCSO (if OFW is single)
  8. Any of the applicable documents  certified by the local civil registrar (LCR) or NCSO
  9. Marriage certificate- if the claimant is the spouse
  10. Birth certificate of OFW- if the claimant is the father or mother
  11. Birth certificate of child and death certificate of the deceased spouse – if the claimant is the child
  12. Affidavit of undertaking executed by the claimant (Police report if death is due to an accident)

When there’s no birth or marriage certificate, you may present the following documents:

It is the lowest time of the family when someone passed away. Funeral services are not cheap so it is best to know what are the funeral benefits given by the government to lessen the burden. You can at least five days off or longer when allowed in your company to grieve.

In the case of Helena, her family can claim the social benefits at GSIS, and PAG-IBIG if she had not claimed here Provident Savings yet. Her family can also claim the Survivor’s Pension at GSIS. You may read more about Survivor’s Benefit here.


Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines

SSS Official Website

PAG-IBIG Fund Official Website

GSIS Official Website

OWWA Official Website

Related posts

5 Top-rated Funeral Homes in Cebu City

Choosing the right funeral home for our loved one can…

Date: November 4, 2018POSTED By: Funerallinks

What is the Difference Between Memorial Service and Funeral Service?

Although the traditional funeral service remains popular in the Philippines,…

Date: December 30, 2018POSTED By: Funerallinks

Dying in the Philippines Isn’t Cheap: How to Get Ready for Funerals

The saddest time in our life is when someone special…

Date: November 18, 2018POSTED By: Funerallinks
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap